2011 옛청주연초제조창



The Cheongju Tabacco Processing Plant was established November 1st in 1946 as the local production line of the Kyeongseong National Tobacco Company. In 1953, the ownership of the factory had been transferred to the Seoul Tobacco Company, and 1987 it became a branch of the National Tobacco Company of Korea. It had many labors about 3,000 at minimum and more than 10,000 people at maximum, as the cradle of modern industry in Cheongju.

The factory was the main pillar for Cheongju citizens and supported their livelihood. As the largest plant in Korea, it produced 10billion cigarettes every year for the domestic market, and exported the items to 17 countries in the world. As the result of the changing global markets, the raw tobacco processing factory was closed, and in 2004, the plant stopped production altogether. With the plant’s closing, a festive local market, opened mainly on pay-days, was shut down as well. Clamorous street turned empty, and roaring truck engine and the heady scent of cigarette smoke have disappeared into history.

In the fall of 2011, however, the Cheongju International Craft Biennale reopened in this Korean historic and industrial site, challenging the modern starkness of the plant’s concrete buildings by combining them with the cultural industry of craft.

 

트위터 공유 페이스북 공유